NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Dozens of firefighters battled a blaze on Beacon Avenue in New Haven near the East Haven town line Wednesday evening where a woman in a wheelchair was rescued.

New Haven Fire Department confirmed the fire broke out at 176 Beacon Ave. around 6 p.m.

Smoke from the fire could be seen from Interstate-95 in East Haven. Employees of Annex Pizza (located down the street) told News 8 they smelled smoke and went out to help.

Dan Garitta of Annex Pizza told News 8, “I was in the restaurant and my boss asked if something was burning and we’re cooking pizzas so we ended up realizing, not pizza and we looked out the door and we saw the smoke coming out the top window, so I start running up the road…When I get up there there’s kids, a couple of babies and they’re crying and shocked. I asked if everyone was out of the house and with that, they didn’t really answer me.”

RELATED: Good Samaritan passing by rescues two people from burning house in New Haven

“Come to find out,” he added, “there was a woman in a wheelchair and ended up going in and we got her out.”

Video from a witness on the scene confirmed a woman in a wheelchair was rescued from the burning home before fire crews arrived. A group of adults could be seen carrying the woman out of the front door as flames poured out of the third-floor windows. A cage full of pets was also rescued.

Garitta says he was just happy to help: “I’m not a hero. I don’t feel like I did anything special, just right place at the right time.”

No word yet on any injuries or what started the fire.