NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — A man admitted to investigators he killed his business partner, according to a New Haven police report.

Police said 47-year-old Charles V. Brown Jr. of Clinton shot 39-year-old Juan Carlos Colon of East Hartford on April 27 at their auto repair shop at 270 Forbes Ave. in New Haven. The building also houses a tattoo parlor.

According to the police report, Brown called 911 and told responding officers that a conversation with Colon had turned into a physical fight. That’s when Brown said he went into another room to get a pistol because he thought Colon had a gun. The police report stated that Brown never saw Colon with a weapon but said he had told him he had one.

The two were fighting when Brown fired the shot, the police report stated. Brown said Colon tried to choke him, and he fired a second shot.

“I don’t know if I intentionally wanted to shoot it again and just bear hugging and slamming up against stuff,” Brown told investigators.

At one point in the 911 call, Brown told the dispatcher, “he’s breathing, he’s breathing.” Colon was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Juan Carlos Colon and his wife (Family provided photo)

Brown told investigators that he and Colon had a business for about two years that involved purchasing, fixing, and reselling vehicles. Brown said Colon owed him an estimated $40,000, and the company was failing because Colon had not correctly filed paperwork with the DMV. Brown told investigators that Colon also allegedly took payment from several clients but failed to deliver the vehicles.

“We are, like the rest of the nation, seeing people with — I would call — minor disputes ending up in gunplay where people are killed,” Jacobson said.

New Haven Police Chief Karl Jacobson says they have seized 114 firearms and 15 ghost guns so far this year.

Chief Jacobson says they need help from the community to put a stop to gun violence and make the city safer, for everyone.

Brown was charged with murder, criminal possession of a firearm, and carrying a pistol without a permit. He was arraigned Friday and is being held on a $2 million bond.