NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — A restaurant in New Haven was rocked by tragedy on Monday after a current employee and former employee died from possible drug overdoses. They were found inside a storage room behind Jack’s Bar and Steakhouse.
“We’re sad, confused and a whole bunch of emotions we can’t explain,” said Marco Siguenza, owner of Jack’s Bar and Steakhouse.
News 8 was first to speak with the owner of Jack’s, Marco Siguenza. He said a building manager and waiter discovered the two men in the storage area as they were gearing up for the lunch rush. Siguenza believes they snuck in there after hours.
“One of [them] was two days working here, basically still training,” said Siguenza. “One was an ex-employee. He hasn’t worked here in about a year.”
According to police, a third man – whose age is unknown at this time – was found outside of the supply closet, in distress, and possibly suffering from a drug overdose. He was taken to an area hospital for treatment and is expected to survive.
Siguenza said the man, who was hospitalized, has been his employee for just over two years. He added they’re shaken up by the incident and they’re hoping to learn more about what happened.
He added they’re helping police any way they can.
Jack’s did reopen after police cleared the scene Monday.
Assistant Chief Karl Jacobson told News 8, “We do not see any foul play related.”
Police are now looking into whether a bad batch of drugs is going around in the area.
“We would say to people thinking about using drugs in the area to use extreme caution until we figure out what this is,” Jacobson warned.
The incident remains under investigation.