Yale New Haven Hospital is collaborating with New Reach on the initiative. The focus is on turning lives around, like Yezenia Lebron, who was once homeless but is now a Peer Recovery Specialist for New Reach.
She talked about her worst times, before New Reach helped her turn her life around.
"By then I was almost already dead, I was weak, depressed and down to 94 pounds. People didn't think I was going to make it and to be honest I didn't even think I was going to make it because I was tired of fighting the fight," said Lebron.
The hope is the initiative will save taxpayer dollars, because fewer homeless women will have to come to places like Yale New Haven Hospital in need of emergency services.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Bakers Corner flour sold at Aldi recalled for possible E. coli
- Federal lawsuit filed to block Alabama's new abortion ban
- Rollover accident closes Route 190 and Freshwater Blvd in Enfield
- Duckling trapped in sewer rescued in Boston
- 8 Things To Do This Weekend: Food Truck Fest, Bill Maher show & Hartford Athletic game
- Wall of Honor ceremony held in memory of those killed in wars in Iraq, Afghanistan
- Waterbury students plant American flags to honor veterans
Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
At least seven people are dead -- five in Missouri, one in Oklahoma and one in Iowa -- after severe weather hit the Plains this week.Read More »
- Another day of tornadoes in Midwest, but St. Louis spared
- Tornadoes on the Plains not as bad as feared; threat remains
- Tornado damage in New Haven County still being repaired one year later
- Reflecting on Connecticut tornadoes 1 year later
- Today's Connecticut Forecast
- Beautiful weather for Friday, some rain for the weekend
- Connecticut experiencing high pollen counts this week
Enfield Police are responding to the intersection of Route 190 and Fresh...Read More »
Looking for weekend fun? We have eight suggestions for you - including a...Read More »
News 8's Gil Simmons joined the governor and other state leaders in the Wall...Read More »
Students in Waterbury are doing their part to help others understand the true...Read More »