New Haven

New Haven daycare evacuated after natural gas leak found in basement

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) - Fire crews have responded to a daycare in New Haven for a possible gas leak on Friday morning.

At around 7:45 a.m., fire crews responded to Kathy's Clubhouse on Townsend Avenue after folks there smelled gas. 

Fire crews then found a high concentration of natural gas in the basement and evacuated everyone to a nearby firehouse. 

Fire officials say they traced the source to an old, cast iron gas main under Townsend Avenue. 

Everyone is okay, the gas was shut off and crews are working to repair that main.

There is no danger to the public.


More Stories

Storm Team 8 Weather Headlines

Latest Connecticut Headlines

Video Center