Unattended candle believed to have caused 2-alarm house fire in Orange

New Haven

ORANGE, Conn. (WTNH) — An unattended candle is believed to be the cause of a fire late Sunday night within a home, according to the Orange Volunteer Fire Association.

Members of the Orange Volunteer Fire Department were called to 517 Grassy Hill Road shortly after 10 p.m. Sunday, according to Fire Chief Vaughan Dumas. Upon arrival, firefighters reported heavy smoke and fire in the rear of the home, locating the blaze in the kitchen.

The association said firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and held major damage to the kitchen area. However, the entire home suffered significant heat and smoke damage.

No injuries were reported.

Fire Inspector Joe Taylor, who investigated the fire, said it appeared a candle left unattended in the kitchen caused the fire.

“Leaving a candle unattended, even for a minute or two, is very dangerous,” said Taylor. “These folks were lucky. There were no injuries and firefighters were able to make a good stop.”

Dumas said the home was equipped with smoke detectors that did activate. He estimated damage to be about $150,000.

For more information about candle safety, click here.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

New Haven

Waterbury seeing rise in people getting vaccinated amidst Delta variant concerns

News /

Cheshire car owner speaks out after almost being killed by suspected car thieves

News /

U.S. Rep. DeLauro endorses Mayor Elicker for second term in New Haven

News /

CDC: New Haven County classified as first in CT with high COVID community transmission

News /

Orange Volunteer Fireman's Carnival has food, fun, and vaccines

News /

McDonald’s in New Haven hosting a COVID-19 vaccine clinic on Thursday

News /
More New Haven

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss