WATERBURY, Conn. (WTNH) — One thing probably above all the rest that we’ve learned during this pandemic, is everything is subject to change. Words like “pivot” and phrases like “remote learning” have become part of the new norm. School is no longer just reading, writing and arithmetic.
Despite plans to return to hybrid learning on Jan. 19, Waterbury Public Schools will continue with virtual learning until at least the end of the month.
On Thursday, Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Verna Ruffin, said classes would remain virtual given the current health and data trends.
The fluctuating positivity numbers are a challenge, says Dr. Ruffin: “There’s not a lot of trust when those numbers go up and then they come down and then they go back up again. But if we can get it stabilized, and it’s a decrease and once we get the vaccine, I think that places us in a really good spot to say this is what we’re gonna do moving forward. And we can increase the number of people that actually come into the building.”
So she had to make the call to continue virtual learning instead. “Our intention was to return to our hybrid model on the 19th of January. I’m very disappointed that we aren’t able to do that because we did see numbers that were elevated COVID positives in the state of Connecticut.”
“We will reassess a date of return to the hybrid model as we approach the end of the second marking period on January 29,” school officials said in a release.
However, the Food Service Department will continue to provide meals for Monday through Sunday. They will be available for pick up at the following schools Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. –
All children 18 and under can pick up (or a parent or guardian can pick up) meals,
which include breakfast, lunch, a snack, supper and the fresh fruit and vegetable of the day.
Locations are as follows:
- Bunker Hill Elementary School: 170 Bunker Hill Avenue
- Carrington Elementary School: 24 Kenmore Avenue
- Chase Elementary School: 40 Woodtick Road
- Crosby High School: 300 Pierpont Road
- Driggs Elementary School: 77 Woodlawn Terrace
- Duggan Elementary School: 38 West Porter Street
- Generali Elementary School: 3196 East Main Street
- Gilmartin Elementary School: 94 Spring Lake Road
- Hopeville Elementary School: 2 Cypress Street
- Kennedy High School: 422 Highland Avenue
- Kingsbury Elementary School: 220 Columbus Boulevard
- Reed Elementary School: 33 Griggs Street
- Regan Elementary School: 2780 North Main Street
- Rotella Elementary School: 380 Pierpont Road
- Sprague Elementary School: 1443 Thomaston Avenue
- Tinker Elementary School: 809 Highland Avenue
- Walsh Elementary School: 55 Dikeman Street
- Waterbury Arts Magnet School: 16 South Elm Street
- Washington Elementary School: 685 Baldwin Street
- Waterbury Career Academy: 175 Birch Street
- West Side Middle School: 483 Chase Parkway
- Wilby High School: 568 Bucks Hill Road