NEW LONDON, Conn. (WTNH) — After being closed for 12 years, a fire damaged the Lighthouse Inn in New London one week after it reopened.
Crews battled a two-alarm fire at the historic Lighthouse Inn in New London Thursday.
Firefighters were called to 6 Guthrie Place around 2:40 p.m., according to the New London Fire Department.
The inn’s owner, who had just completed a five-year renovation, told News 8 that workers were installing a new sign on the front of the building and were drilling through the stucco, sparking a fire in the walls and moving up through the building.
“We’re just cleaning up right now, so we can look underneath to see what’s happening,” said Alwyn Christy, owner of Lighthouse Inn.
There is fire and water damage from the attic to the basement, and Christy is trying to determine if he can reopen while repairs are being made.
“The kitchen is on one end of the building, and the tavern’s on the other end of the building, and we need to go through that space, so we’re trying to see how we can isolate certain areas, and we need to see how we can safely do it,” Christy said.
Right now, there is no power and the building is condemned, but it is structurally sound.
Christy told News 8 that he had 265 reservations for a Mother’s Day brunch on Sunday. Of course, that had to be canceled, but he says because they had done so much preparation, he may still hold a thank-you feast for all those who save the historic inn.
“We have enough food to feed about 300 people and we just want to be thankful to all the fire department buys and all the people who showed up,” Christy said.
Because the fire was inside the wall, it’s believed to be sparked when a new sign was being hung on the front of the building.
Two firefighters were taken to Lawrence and Memorial Hospital. One was treated and released, and the other is still recovering as of Friday morning.
The fire is still under investigation.
Refresh this page for updates on this developing story.