Investigators: Unattended candle to blame for fire at home in New London

New London

NEW LONDON, Conn. (WTNH) — Investigators in New London say a candle is to blame for a fire in a multi-family home in town on Wednesday morning.

Flames broke out around 5:30 a.m. on Truman Street when a candle was knocked over in a bedroom. The tenant returned 10 minutes later to find the room engulfed in flames.

Pictures show where that candle fell on the bed and the fire spread. Everyone made it out on their own, but nine people need somewhere else to stay for now.

Vernon Skau, New London Fire Marshal, said, “December is the busiest month for candle fire in the United States. More than one-third of the 7,400 fires occur in December.”

The fire marshal says candle fires are preventable and can be avoided if you make sure candles are blown out whenever you leave a room or building, and make sure they are on a sturdy base clear of clutter at least a foot around it.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Groton PD boosts recruitment efforts

News /

Cardona, Courtney visit Groton schools to discuss career and technical education

News /

Norwich Board of Education in favor of school resource officers returning to middle schools

News /

Firefighters battle flames at 2-alarm fire in downtown New London

News /

How to avoid burst pipes this winter

News /

Home heating safety tips during cold weather

News /
More New London

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss