LYME, Conn. (WTNH) — The Department of Environmental and Energy Protection said a teenager died on Saturday after a swimming accident at a lake in Lyme.

DEEP, as well as state police, the Lyme Fire Department, and dive teams from Portland, Middletown, and Yantic-Norwich, responded to the Uncas Pond swim area on Keeny Road off the lake in Nehantic State Forest around 4:38 p.m. on a report of a teenager missing in the water.

According to DEEP, a 16-year-old teenager was swimming with friends and at a certain point, went under the water. The boy’s friends were trying to look for him, but they couldn’t find him, so called police. DEEP officials said the boy wasn’t a strong swimmer, and although he had pool floats with him, he wasn’t wearing a life jacket.

The boy was located 50 to 60 feet offshore in about 20 feet of water. They credit this find to Lt. Bill O’Donnell, a Middletown diver. Officials said he was brought to shore where CPR was administered.

DEEP said he was transported to the Shoreline Clinic in Westbrook where he was later pronounced dead.

“We have this problem every year, and it’s sad, you know,” DEEP Captain Keith Williams said. “These are one of the hardest times for the job for any officer or paramedic, firefighter, or police officer, is to deal with situations like this.”

The first responders at the scene sent a message to those affected.

“The members of Local 1073 would like to send our sincere condolences to the family and friends of the victim,” said the organization in a Facebook post.

This marks the third drowning in the state this year, all happening before the summer when the water is still cold. Last month, a child died in North Stonington and two men died in Stamford after their boats capsized.

Williams urged people to take water safety seriously because hypothermia remains a concern.

“A lot of people think that the air temperature being as warm as it is, it’s okay to go swimming, but when you hit this cold water, you know, cold water shock, the shock hits you pretty quickly,” Williams said.

The incident remains under investigation.

Stay alert for updates with WTNH in the News 8 app