NEW LONDON, Conn. (WTNH) — Two people are dead after a fire and reports of a shooting at a house in New London Wednesday night.

According to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, the two died from a murder-suicide.

Officers were en route to the scene on Granite Street for a report of shots fired when they received further information of a possible active structure fire. When they arrived, officers saw flames coming from the top floor of the multi-family home. Officers began to evacuate residents like Elizabeth Soules, who had no idea their building was on fire.

Soules, who lives on the second floor, told News 8 she had no idea there was a fire until she walked outside and saw flames coming from the third floor.

“Next thing I hear is people kicking at my door, banging at my door,” Soules said. “I screamed ‘hold on, don’t break the door down. I’m coming, I’m coming.’ That’s when the cops grabbed me by my arm and said ‘get outside, hurry up, quick,’ so I didn’t know we had a fire or what happened until I got outside.”

New London Police Capt. Matthew Galante said crews found two victims inside the building. One was pronounced dead at the scene and another was transported to Lawrence and Memorial Hospital, where they were later pronounced dead.

On Friday morning, the Medical Examiner identified the victims. Arisleidy Batista, 18, died of gunshot wounds of the head, torso, and extremities, and the death was ruled a homicide. Nicolas Rodriguez-Vargas, 20, died of a gunshot wound of the head, and his death was ruled a suicide.

A New London police officer was transported to Lawrence and Memorial Hospital for smoke inhalation and was later was released.

One neighbor said she heard gunshots around 8 p.m. Wednesday and that it sounded like somebody emptied an entire clip from a handful. News 8 spoke with others in the neighborhood who said this is part of an alarming trend.

“There’s been a lot of stabbings and shootings in New London, but that’s happening everywhere in the world. Nothing we can really do about it,” David Sousa said as he walked his dogs nearby.

The American Red Cross said it helped nine residents find somewhere else to sleep. As of Thursday afternoon, fire officials said all fo the tenants were able to return to their apartments.

The New London Police Department is investigating with assistance from the New London Fire Marshal’s Office, New London State Attorneys office, Connecticut Police Major Crime Unit and the Police Fire Marshal Unit.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the New London Police Department at (860)447-5269.