Oppressively hot, humid temperatures blanketed the state Tuesday and the mercury is expected to rise even higher Wednesday. Dozens of schools without air conditioning announced they’d be dismissing early Wednesday due to the dangerous heat.
At the Boys and Girls Club in Milford, students stayed out of the heat, playing and learning in the AC. The Executive Director, Megan Altomare opened early Tuesday for kids being dismissed early and will do so again Wednesday.
“We just didn’t want to take any chances,” Altomare told News 8. “We have four buses of kids coming from four of the different schools in Milford and kids walking from two of the schools and the middle and high school.”
The splash pad was one of the busiest places in town Tuesday.
“It’s too hot – it’s too hot in the house!” Luz Valez said.
Adele Petgrade’s mother brought her to cool down. Her school doesn’t have AC.
“There are just fans that spin around,” Petgrade said. “I’m here because of the hot day. There’s early dismissal at school and everybody is here.”
While the region bakes under the extreme heat, medical professionals urging people to stay inside, stay hydrated and avoid exercising during the hottest parts of the day. They’re also cautioning people to never leave children or pets in cars where temperatures can exceed 120 degrees in a matter of minutes.