MOOSUP, Conn. (WTNH) — Fire officials identified the person who died in a townhome fire in Moosup early Thursday morning.

The victim was identified as 64-year-old Patti Robinson of Plainfield. Officials said she died due to smoke inhalation and thermal burns. The cause of death was certified as accidental.

Flames broke out around 12:30 a.m., which is when officers from Plainfield responded to the area of Moosup Gardens Apartments on Gorman Street in Moosup, which is a section of Plainfield.

The blaze engulfed multiple units in a townhouse, and upon arrival, emergency crews believed residents may have been trapped inside the building.

The Moosup Fire Department said that with the assistance of Plainfield, Atwood Hose, Central Village, and several neighboring fire departments, they responded and began fire suppression.

Crews were able to suppress the fire around 2 a.m.

Robinson was located in the building and pronounced dead at the scene just after 2:20 a.m.

Follow News 8 for more updates on this developing story.