PLAINVILLE, Conn. (WTNH) — One person died in a fire at a condo on Russel Avenue early Wednesday morning, according to Plainville Fire Chief Thomas Moschini.
Moschini said the call came in around 3:11 a.m. Upon arrival, firefighters saw heavy fire coming from one of the condo units.
He said firefighters located a deceased person inside the building. The person was found downstairs.
Firefighters from Plainville, Southington, and Farmington worked to knock down the fire. Moschini said they got it under control in around an hour.
He said one person lived in the affected condo unit.
This complex has nine apartments. One of the units was vacant.
Police helped with evacuations. A handful of families will be assisted by the American Red Cross.
“It’s pretty cold out here, it was 32 degrees when we got here, which was kind of a shock to us. They should be able to get back into the units in a few more hours, maybe by mid-afternoon,” Moschini said. “Power was secured to the building so they have no power at this time.”
State Police and the Fire Marshal are the on-scene investigating. One firefighter suffered a shoulder injury and has been treated.
“We dispatched a team here,” said Jon Basso, senior director of Disaster Services. “Our first concern is the residents. Do they have a safe place?”
Officials had to cut off the power to the entire building. But fire officials do expect some families will be able to get back in during the afternoon.
Keep up to date at WTNH.com and the News 8 app.