Man arrested in Seymour fatal hit-and-run had a one-way ticket to Mexico


SEYMOUR, Conn. (WTNH) — Police arrested a suspect and located the vehicle involved in the double fatal hit-and-run in Seymour earlier this month.

Seymour police arrested 24-year-old Jair Irogoyen-Flores Thursday morning.

James Tamborra, 81, died the night of the crash. His wife, Barbara, also 81, passed away after being in the ICU.

The incident happened just after 6 p.m. Friday, Dec. 10. Police said an on-duty officer was helping the Tamborras cross the street after the couple attended a wake at the Miller-Ward Funeral Home on Bank Street in Seymour. A vehicle traveling eastbound at a high rate of speed struck the couple. Police said the officer was able to move out of the way of the vehicle and was not injured.

Barbara and James Tamborra. Courtesy: Tamborra family

Investigators were looking for a dark-colored 2014 to 2016 Acura MDX. The passenger side headlight was struck, and the headlight fixture was damaged, police said.

The arrest came within 24 hours of police getting an anonymous tip.

“I knew eventually it would come out,” Ken Tamborra, one of the couple’s sons said Thursday. “I knew eventually someone would say something along the line.”

Irogoyen-Flores appeared in court on Thursday and had bond set at $1.5 million. During his court appearance, the bail commissioner said he has been in Connecticut for 20 years and is currently living with his brother. He has no pending matters or criminal history.

Attorney Rebecca Barry said Irogoyen-Flores had a one-way ticket to Mexico that was leaving Thursday morning from JFK in New York, and there was an indication he was likely to run.

“… hearing he was about to flee to Mexico puts a cold chill in your heart this close to losing someone forever,” Ken Tamborra said.

Irogoyen-Flores is set to appear in court again in February.

On Dec. 14, the family of the Shelton couple pleaded for the driver to come forward.

“This is a senseless tragedy,” Ken Tamborra said earlier this month. “Please come forward. We’d like to find the person that did this, and if you’re the person that did this, please come forward. Please give our family closure to this tragedy.”

In a Facebook post Thursday, the Seymour Police Department thanked the public for their help.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss