MERIDEN, Conn. (WTNH) — A now-former high school swimming and diving coach in Meriden is accused of recording a student in a girls’ locker room bathroom at Platt High School.

Meriden police said in January, a female student went into the locker room bathroom to change for practice and noticed a camera.

“A female student noticed a camera upon entering the locker room before getting changed and immediately reported it to school officials,” Meriden Mayor Kevin Scarpati said.

Daniel Barillaro Jr.

Police said the alleged incident prompted an immediate investigation. Authorities identified the suspect as 23-year-old Daniel Barillaro, Jr., who is listed as an assistant coach for the boys and girls swimming and diving teams on Platt High School’s website.

Investigators seized and analyzed Barillaro’s cell phone and other devices. Police said no other acts of voyeurism or victims were identified.

“The investigation was looking at his cellphone and other devices to make sure that there were no other incidents that were recorded,” Scarpati said.

Meriden police acknowledged the bravery of the student to come forward and report the incident.

The mayor said Barillaro passed a background check. He was initially placed on leave after the alleged incident was reported, but school officials said he’s no longer an employee.

In a statement to News 8, the school district said, “The individual is no longer an employee of the district, and the Meriden Police Department is handling the matter.“

Barillaro turned himself in on Feb. 7 and was charged with voyeurism. He was processed and posted a $5,000 bond.

According to court documents obtained by News 8 on Feb. 22, Barillaro went into the bathroom before the student. When she went to use it, she saw that a cell phone and a wallet were left in the room. The student initially thought that Barillaro had accidentally left the items there, but then saw that the camera was facing her and recording.

When she watched the video, it showed Barillaro setting up the camera and adjusting it so it recorded the entire room, according to court documents. When confronted, he said he accidentally recorded the student. While being questioned by police, he said he didn’t know there was a video on his phone, but then deleted it in front of the officer. He then claimed that his phone had accidentally started recording in the past.

His case was continued until March 28.