SEYMOUR, Conn. (WTNH) - In the Valley, Friday night football is king.
"Growing up, we would always go to the football field and watch the games," said Matt Hernandez of Seymour.
Yet, it's not the kickoff to the season causing a stir in Seymour. Instead, word of a criminal investigation of the entire Seymour High School Football program has come just days before players report for practice.
"Yes, I'm concerned as a parent because you hear rumors and, you know, I have a son and I'm just concerned," parent Lisa Crowley said.
Seymour police confirmed earlier this week that Head Coach Tom Lennon has been the subject of the probe since late May.
However, detectives won't explain why, leading to wild rumors.
"Yeah, it's pretty concerning just not knowing what's going on," Hernandez said.
Seymour First Selectman Kurt Miller released a statement on Friday, and said:
"This is as serious as it gets. This investigation is being given the utmost due diligence. The head coach has been placed on administrative leave, an assistant coach did not have his contract renewed, and the remaining coaching staff resigned. The Town has brought in interim Head Coach Steve George, as well as a new staff. The football season will start Monday as scheduled. I cannot say much more because it is an ongoing criminal investigation."
That explanation was not good enough for Hernandez. He wants the school district and police to say more.
"Yeah, just because there's kids going there so you want to know what's going on just for the safety of the kids," he stated.
Meanwhile, everyone is happy the season won't be canceled, at least not yet.
- 'Tap Into Nature' at Lake Saltonstall in Branford Wednesday
- 'Motorcycle Mania' rolls into Middletown Wednesday
- British police: crash suspect is Briton of Sudanese origin
- Vigil held at Detroit church for Aretha Franklin
- Stretch Your Dollar: Labor Day Travel Savings
- Death toll hits 39 in Italy bridge collapse; blame begins
- Crews battle overnight fire at a school in Plainfield
The humidity will ramp up on Wednesday. Get the updated forecast from Storm Team 8.Read More »
- CT residents flock to the beach amid abnormal heat
- Copy of Today's Connecticut Forecast
- Showers moving across Connecticut Wednesday evening
- Torrential downpours move out of CT, showers still possible Saturday afternoon
- Record heat in the west, torrential rains in the east
- Severe Thunderstorms possible Friday evening
- Tuesday thunderstorm causes damage around Connecticut
Families across Connecticut are invited to explore the outdoors in Branford...Read More »
Thousands of riders from around the region are expected to descend on...Read More »
Crews battled an overnight fire at the Plainfield Memorial School.Read More »
Thousands of riders from around the region are expected to descend on Middletown Wednesday evening for the annual 'Motorcycle Mania' event.Read More »