POLK COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A dog in Lake Wales, Florida, is lucky to be alive after he was strangled with a leash and thrown into some bushes by his angry owner, authorities said.
Police arrested 36-year-old Cesar Cruz Sanchez on Sunday after he was caught on surveillance video pulling the dog, a 6-year-old Chihuahua named Canelo, by the leash as it resisted walking.
A witness told police Cruz Sanchez used the leash to strangle Canelo, then tossed the dog into some bushes near a lake.
Cruz Sanchez later told police he was mad at the dog for lying on baby furniture. He was arrested for animal cruelty and booked into a Polk County jail.
Police said the dog was thought to have been killed, but a person contacted Animal Control and reported finding an injured stray believed to be Canelo, and said he returned the dog to its owner.
Animal Control responded to Cruz Sanchez’s home and the animal was surrendered.
“Although we are sickened at the treatment Canelo received by his owner, Cesar Cruz Sanchez, we are happy Canelo is still alive and will be treated well at the Polk County Sheriff’s Office Animal Control Shelter,” police said in a statement.
- Put on the spot over white supremacy, President Trump tells Proud Boys to ‘stand by’
- Who won the Trump-Biden debate? 6 moments that defined the night
- What’s Right With Schools: Educators at City Hill MS in Naugatuck think outside the box for virtual hands-on learning
- Fact check: A look at claims from Trump and Biden’s first debate
- ‘Would you shut up, man?’: Trump, Biden interrupt each other during chaotic debate