NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) - Thursday was a big day at Achievement First Amistad High School in New Haven.
Seniors announced where they had been accepted for college.
"A lot of our kids have a lot of good choices. A lot have been keeping it a secret from their friends and, [in] some cases, even their families," stated Amistad Principal Morgan Barth.
Tolulope Adeniji is one of those seniors with some pretty good choices.
On Thursday, she had her big reveal.
Original Story: Amistad Academy senior is accepted into four Ivy League schools
For Tolu, it's not so much her success, but seeing other black and Hispanic students thrive that inspires her.
"Seeing other people that I know achieve such great things kind of reminds you that, yeah, it's possible that people who look like me [can do this]."
Helping to achieve great things is the mission of the school, and every student in the senior class is going to college.
"Part of being a part of our school community is sending a message overtly, loudly and clearly to our students that we believe they can get there. That college is for them. That they are going to have to do a lot of work but we are going to have their back 100 percent of the way," Barth said.
Congratulations to the soon-to-be graduates!
- Judge bars citizenship question from 2020 census
- Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand jumps into 2020 presidential race
- Nike unveils its newest self-lacing technology for basketball shoe 'Nike Adapt BB'
- China making headway in growing the first plant on the moon
- New study links plaque build up to poor sleep
- Southington family wins the grand prize for the National Dreamvention contest
- Mystic Seaport Museum is offering free admission to furloughed federal workers
A massive winter snowstorm making its way across the Midwest and into the Mid-Atlantic region dumped more than a foot of snow in parts of Missouri and contributed to at least five deaths, authorities said Saturday.Read More »
- Preventing Frozen Pipes
- How to prevent pipe problems in the winter
- Connecticut plow drivers still waiting for winter weather
- A few rounds of light rain, dense fog for southern CT Tuesday night
- Clear and breezy for Thursday afternoon
- 2018: A Year of Crazy Weather
- Skies clearing and mild for New Year's Day
A Southington family is $250,000 dollars richer after winning a national...Read More »
The Mystic Seaport Museum is offering free admission to furloughed federal...Read More »
Firefighters responded to Hasbro Children's Hospital Tuesday night after a...Read More »
Police are investigating a shooting in New Britain on Tuesday night in the...Read More »
The Southern CT State men's basketball team had its 8-game win streak snapped over the weekend. Scott Burrell's Owls looking to start another one Tuesday night.Read More »
Everyone in the state chasing top ranked Danbury for high school wrestling.Read More »