Fairfield PD arrest Easton constable, volunteer firefighter in deadly July 4th hit-and-run


FAIRFIELD, Conn. (WTNH) — Fairfield police arrested a suspect in a hit-and-run that killed a Pennsylvania woman Saturday evening.

Wednesday, police arrested 22-year-old Declan P. Kot, of Easton. Kot is a constable and a volunteer firefighter in the town. The First Selectman says Kot has been suspended from his duties.

Kot is facing the following charges:

  • Misconduct with a motor vehicle.
  • Evading responsibility in operating a motor vehicle resulting in death.
  • Failure to drive in proper lane.
  • Operating a motor vehicle without fenders.
  • Tampering with evidence.
  • Operation of a motor vehicle with tinted windows without tinting sticker.
  • Operation of vehicle with tinted windshield.
Declan P. Kot, 22, of Easton – Photo: Fairfield PD

Fairfield police said that between 7:30-7:45 p.m. July 4, 2020, a pedestrian was struck and killed in the area of 2000 Redding Rd. The driver fled the scene before police arrived.

The deceased pedestrian is a 32-year-old female from Pennsylvania who was visiting family in the area and walking her dog at the time of the crash. She was identified Sunday as Marileidy Morel Araujo of Matamoras, Pennsylvania.

Marileidy Morel Araujo of Matamoras, Pennsylvania

Two passing motorists found the victim lying in the road after the crash and called 911.

One witness told News 12 Connecticut, “I went to check her. She wasn’t very responsive. I sat next to her, grabber her hand, and started speaking to her to let her know someone was there with her and that help was on the way….It’s not easy. A human being like that doesn’t deserve that type of treatment.”

Officers identified the vehicle as white Dodge Ram, previously described as a Green Jeep Wrangler, and its operator on Tuesday, July 7.

It was surveillance footage from residents in the Redding Road area that helped police identify the car involved in the crash.

Kot is scheduled to appear at Bridgeport Superior Court on Wednesday, July 15. He was released after posting a $150,000 bond with a condition that he not operate any motor vehicle pending arraignment before the Superior Court and permission being granted by the court.

Police send their thanks to those who called in and provided hundreds of potential leads.

This incident remains under investigation by the Fairfield Police Crash Reconstruction Unit. Anyone with additional information or surveillance video is asked to contact Crash Reconstruction Supervisor Sgt. Michael Paris at mparis@fairfieldct.org or 203-254-4862.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss