WESTPORT, Conn. (WTNH) -- Drivers saw major delays on their snowy Thursday morning commute along I-95 in Westport, after a FedEx truck went up in flames.
According to the Westport Fire Department, the tractor trailer caught on fire between northbound exits 18 and 19, just before 5:30 am. The FedEx truck driver was notified by another truck driver through a radio communication system, that the back right tire was on fire.
Authorities say the driver immediately pulled over to the side of the road and tried to put the fire out. Instead, the tire exploded sending the truck up in flames with heavy smoke billowing from the trailer and storage area.
Along with the snowy road conditions slowing down traffic, crews had to close off multiple lanes of I-95 North, causing even more delays.
Westport Firefighters responded to the scene to extinguish the fire, with the help of Fairfield firefighters. Crews had to remove all the packages from the trailer and make sure the fire was completely out.
Fire officials left the scene just before 6:30 am, but the truck remained on the side of the highway until the busy morning traffic cleared out.
The driver is believed to have made it out of the truck safely without injuries. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- Fire breaks out at home in Torrington
- Victims of car break-ins in Wallingford band together
- Four people rescued after boat capsizes in Niantic Bay
- Body found in river, police investigating
- Public invited to submit nominations for human rights prize
- School officials due back in court in fight club case
- Boaters offered tips to prevent spread of invasion species
News 8 was crisscrossing the state since the storms began early Tuesday afternoon.Read More »
- Storms cause travel nightmare for thousands across the East Coast
- Tuesday thunderstorms cause damage, knock out power around Connecticut
- Report-It Photo Gallery: July 17, 2018 Thunderstorms
- Tuesday storm knocks out power for hundreds across Connecticut
- Wet weather to linger until around midnight, sunshine returns Wednesday
- Showers, downpours possible Sunday evening
- How to escape a rip current
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Volunteers in Waterbury rolled up their sleeves and did their part to help...Read More »
Victims of car break-ins in the town of Wallingford are coming together....Read More »