EAST HAMPTON, Conn. (WTNH)–A family in East Hampton is lucky to be alive after a fire destroyed their home. It happened around 2:39 a.m. Saturday morning on 22 Knowles Road in East Hampton.
Five people are alive because there was a working smoke detector in the home. No one was injured.
“Smoke detectors save lives,” said Richard Klotzbier, East Hampton Fire Marshal.
“Always have CO2 detectors and smoke detectors,” said contractor Cory Bjork.
One of the survivors was too shaken to speak with News 8 on camera, but says she is staying at a nearby home.