ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) – A Pinellas County, Florida, man is behind bars after police said he injured a baby raccoon so bad that it later died.
He’s also accused of taking and injuring a woman’s dog.
St. Petersburg police arrested 26-year-old Kenneth McNeil on Sunday morning.
An arrest report said McNeil was seen kicking a baby raccoon from a curb just before 6 a.m. Police said he then “intentionally and violently” kicked the baby raccoon two more times.
The baby raccoon was visibly injured, the report states, and was rolling and squirming on the ground, unable to get up. Police said the animal died shortly after being taken to an emergency vet.
McNeil is also accused of taking a dog and injuring it. According to another arrest report, a witness saw McNeil take the dog from a post where it was leashed.
Police said he picked the dog up by its leash so it was held off the ground by its neck. He was then seen slinging the dog by the leash and kicking it.
Officers said McNeil’s actions caused distress to the dog and made the animal yelp and cry.
McNeil was arrested on two charges of felony cruelty to animals and a misdemeanor charge of petit theft.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Buttigieg discloses ex-clients as fundraising swing begins
- Lamont concedes; No votes on ‘trucks only tolls’ in December, special session set for January
- In Mexico, effeminate Zapata painting draws fury
- Adam Sandler on plunging into the Safdies’ ‘Uncut Gems’
- Monumental statue of black man defies Confederate monuments