They found that every 1 pound in a backpack equaled 7 pounds of force on a straight spine.
For someone who is slumped forward, each pound is equal to almost 12 pounds of force on the spine.
Related Content: Picking the right backpack for your kids as they head back to school
So your teen who's carrying a 5 pound backpack is actually carrying about 35 pounds on their back.
To avoid the wear and tear on your joints and muscles, here are some easy things to do instead:
- Pack only what you need
- Use e-books
- Wear both straps of the backpack
- Proper posture is key: ears above your shoulder, shoulders back
- Remember that 1 book = 7 books on your spine
- What's the difference between medical marijuana & recreational pot?
- Atlanta boy travels through airport security without plane ticket
- Video shows firefighters rescuing people, dogs from massive wildfire
- State's attorney calls Ethan Song's death a tragic accident
- Malloy seeks federal aid for September flooding, rainstorms
- Malloy activating Connecticut's Severe Cold Weather Protocol
- 2 plead no contest in psychiatric patient abuse case
With bitter cold on the way for the state later in the week, Governor Dannel Malloy announced that he is activating the state's Severe Cold Weather Protocol.Read More »
- Thanksgiving Day Football games rescheduled ahead of extreme cold
- Clear and cool Tuesday evening, severe cold and wind on the way for Thanksgiving
- Thursday snowstorm causes hundreds of crashes around Connecticut
- Rain to come overnight, stay for morning commute
- Wet snow makes for slippery sidewalks, difficult shoveling
- Winter storm leaves slippery road conditions
- Windy and cold Friday afternoon, sunny weekend ahead
Nearly a dozen East Haven Dept. of Public Works employees were suspended...Read More »
As Massachusetts opens its first recreational marijuana dispensaries -- why...Read More »
New information has been released following the death of 15-year-old Ethan Song.Read More »
With bitter cold on the way for the state later in the week, Governor Dannel...Read More »
Two former staff members at a Connecticut maximum-security psychiatric...Read More »
Nearly a dozen East Haven Dept. of Public Works employees were suspended without pay last Friday, accused by Mayor Joseph Maturo of putting the public at risk by not showing up for work to plow snow covered streets.Read More »
The "all clear" has been given after students at Western Connecticut State University in Danbury were told to 'shelter in place' following a report of a gunman on the Westside Campus Tuesday afternoon.Read More »
President Donald Trump used the power of his office to keep a pair of turkeys off the Thanksgiving table.Read More »