Congresswoman Jahana Hayes symptomatic days after testing positive for COVID-19


WASHINGTON (WTNH) — Congresswoman Jahana Hayes (CT-05) confirmed Saturday that a member of her staff tested positive for COVID-19.

Hayes said she had been in close contact with the individual, and both of them worked in her Connecticut and Washington D.C. offices this past week.

On Sunday, Hayes confirmed on her official Facebook page as well as on Twitter that the result from her COVID-19 test was positive. Hayes will quarantine for fourteen days.

“This morning I received a positive COVID-19 test result and will be quarantined for the next fourteen days,” said Hayes.

Hayes said Saturday she is asymptomatic.

“I urge everyone to acknowledge the severity of this virus and follow the CDC guidance to keep our family, friends, and loved ones safe,” Hayes said in a statement.

After the staffer tested positive Saturday, Hayes said all staff was notified and asked to quarantine and get tested. Her CT and D.C. offices will work remotely until further notice.

Hayes said her positive result underscored the need for a national testing strategy.

More than a dozen members of Congress have tested positive for the virus. Hayes husband, a detective in Waterbury, has also previously tested positive for the virus. 

Related: Could Connecticut’s COVID-19 uptick be from colleges reopening or Labor Day functions?

Monday, Hayes reported on Twitter she has developed a fever and her breathing is labored.

The post consisted simply of a “Good Morning” message and a picture of what appears to be her journal.

The journal is dated Monday and says – in part – “Tossed and turned most of the night. Breathing is so labored. Have had a scratchy throat and tacky breaking for a few days. Thought it was really bad seasonal allergies. This is clearly not seasonal allergies. Spiked a fever yesterday. Tylenol helped.”

On Wednesday, Sept. 30, 11 days after she announced she was first confirmed positive for COVID-19, Rep. Hayes reports she is still experiencing symptoms.

She wrote on Twitter in her ‘Captain’s Log’ that her symptoms are lingering, specifically shortness of breath. She says 20-minute conversations on the phone make her “feel like I ran a sprint. Immediately after I hang up I spend the next hour deep breathing and trying to slow my heart rate down.”

DPH tells her her symptoms are normal.

She goes on to say, “It’s so deceiving because I am up feeling good and when I talk on the phone friends say I sound so much better, but the simplest task leaves me exhausted.”

She reports she is now using a breathing machine at night to give her comfort enough to sleep.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss