MERIDEN, Conn. (WTNH) -- Be sure the grill is clean and maybe think twice about using a popular cleaning tool if grilling this Memorial Day weekend.
Wallingford's Cheryl Harrison was rushed to MidState Medical Center with extreme stomach pain two days after eating a burger. A CT scan showed there was a foreign object in her body. Harrison had to undergo emergency surgery and to remove a thin piece of metal from a grill brush, about an inch long, from her intestine.
"Obviously, if it was in my mouth and I bit it, I wouldn't have swallowed it," she said. "It must have been positioned in that burger just perfect, and I ingested it and swallowed it."RELATED STORY: Grill brush bristles can become loose on grill, eaten, requiring surgery
"In the case of some patients, when they arrive at the level of a small bowel, you have kind of a kink, a right angle, and it does not negotiate as well, and at that time it makes a hole in the intestine," said Dr. Aziz Benbrahim.
Dr. Benbrahim says that hole can be life-threatening, and the incident could happen to anyone. This was not the first he had removed a similar object from a patient.
Fortunately for Harrison, the bristle was found early and the inflammation in her intestine was limited. Two weeks later, she is doing well.
- Fire breaks out at home in Torrington
- Victims of car break-ins in Wallingford band together
- Four people rescued after boat capsizes in Niantic Bay
- Body found in river, police investigating
- Public invited to submit nominations for human rights prize
- School officials due back in court in fight club case
- Boaters offered tips to prevent spread of invasion species
News 8 was crisscrossing the state since the storms began early Tuesday afternoon.Read More »
- Storms cause travel nightmare for thousands across the East Coast
- Tuesday thunderstorms cause damage, knock out power around Connecticut
- Report-It Photo Gallery: July 17, 2018 Thunderstorms
- Tuesday storm knocks out power for hundreds across Connecticut
- Wet weather to linger until around midnight, sunshine returns Wednesday
- Showers, downpours possible Sunday evening
- How to escape a rip current
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Volunteers in Waterbury rolled up their sleeves and did their part to help...Read More »
Victims of car break-ins in the town of Wallingford are coming together....Read More »