Doctors remove grill brush bristle from Wallingford woman’s intestine

Health

MERIDEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Be sure the grill is clean and maybe think twice about using a popular cleaning tool if grilling this Memorial Day weekend.

Wallingford’s Cheryl Harrison was rushed to MidState Medical Center with extreme stomach pain two days after eating a burger. A CT scan showed there was a foreign object in her body. Harrison had to undergo emergency surgery and to remove a thin piece of metal from a grill brush, about an inch long, from her intestine.

“Obviously, if it was in my mouth and I bit it, I wouldn’t have swallowed it,” she said. “It must have been positioned in that burger just perfect, and I ingested it and swallowed it.”RELATED STORY:Grill brush bristles can become loose on grill, eaten, requiring surgery

“In the case of some patients, when they arrive at the level of a small bowel, you have kind of a kink, a right angle, and it does not negotiate as well, and at that time it makes a hole in the intestine,” said Dr. Aziz Benbrahim.

Dr. Benbrahim says that hole can be life-threatening, and the incident could happen to anyone. This was not the first he had removed a similar object from a patient.

Fortunately for Harrison, the bristle was found early and the inflammation in her intestine was limited. Two weeks later, she is doing well.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

New Haven

Meriden police team with FBI to stop recent shootings; arrest made in Puerto Rico

News /

Waterbury PD investigating disturbance at Walmart, suspects fled

News /

Meriden homicide suspect arrested in Puerto Rico

News /

PD: Naugatuck couple forced child to sleep in closet, kneel on tacks & drink hot sauce

News /

Yale Primary Care Center opening

News /

Michael Pinto steps down as COO of New Haven Public Schools

News /
More New Haven

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss