NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — For many going to a nail salon is a chance to beautify and relax but the unexpected can happen.

A Georgia woman believes getting her ingrown toenail cut at a nail salon led to an infection that caused her to have her toe amputated.

Dr. Amanda Zubeck, a Yale Medicine dermatologist with a special interest in nail disorders and assistant professor of dermatology at the Yale School of Medicine, offered insight into what may have happened to cause the Georgia woman to have her toe amputated and what people should take away from it.

Zubeck also discussed how UV nail dryers increase the risk of skin cancer and how nail salons can increase your risk for infections.

“Sometimes they like to cut the cuticle, or try to remove an ingrown toenail so bacteria can be introduced into the skin which can lead to infection,” Zubeck said.

Dr. Zubek said you can avoid having those invasive services to help avoid infection.

“So it’s always important to not go to a pedicure if you have any open wounds on your feet or if you’re at risk for infection,” she said.

Those risks can include having diabetes or other chronic diseases, according to Dr. Zubek. She said there are things you can do right at home to get your feet sandal ready for spring.

“I recommend moisturizing the feet and nails with moisturizers that contain lactic acid and salicylic acid that really helps slough off the dead skin,” Dr. Zubek said.

Dr. Zubek also recommends people get their nails cut straight across and see a doctor if they develop a fungal infection.

Dr. Zubek deals with lots of sun damage in patients and has a warning about popular gel manicures that use ultraviolet lighting to dry the nail.

“We’ve known for a long time that ultraviolet light can cause skin cancer,” she said.

A new study reveals the damage that drying lamps can do.