STAMFORD, Conn. (WTNH) - Fibroids -- often unrecognized and easily overlooked in women.
"Fibroids are tumors that are non-cancerous. They're growths that happen inside the wall of the uterus and essentially what happens is one of the cells inside the uterus, the muscle cell, growing out of control and it forms this bulky tumor which we call fibroids," explains Dr. Scott Chudnoff of Stamford Health.
Non-cancerous tumors -- that can lead to extreme pain.
"First of all it would be like three days of intense OMG pain," says Khaitsa Wasiyo.
And heavy menstrual bleeding.
She says, "Just constantly worried about whether I'm able to get through my day."
Adding, "I wanted to have another child and I could not do that because I had these fibroids that were in the way."
To save her uterus -- Khaitsa is participating in a clinical trial underway here at Stamford Health.
"Traditionally, we tell a woman, you have fibroids, you have bleeding, let's do a hysterectomy," says lead researcher Dr. Chudnoff who is focused on a drug that shrinks fibroids.
He says, "What it does is it blocks the progesterone going into the fibroids. Progesterone being one of the hormones in the body that can cause the fibroids to grow."
It's a class of medication already approved in Europe.
Dr. Chudnoff was a primary study investigator, "The ablation should destroy whatever tissue is there but you can't always destroy every last cell."
Stamford Hospital is one of the first sites in the U.S. to offer it.
For Khaitsa, promising results so far in the medical research.
"The pain disappeared, and the heavy cramps disappeared. Do I need to change anything. Am I okay? Do I look fine? That worry is gone and the pain is gone."
Dr. Chudnoff says anything short of a hysterectomy, there is always a risk of the fibroids returning.
For more information on the clinical trial -- call 877-455-4HER
Women who'd like to participate in the study can fill out this online form:
- George H.W. Bush secretly sponsored a Filipino child for 10 years
- New protection zones to help rare whales off East Coast
- Consumer groups allege Google misleads kids in FTC complaint
- Police: 12-year-old boy fatally shot
- Increase expected in Christmas travelers from 2017, new estimates say
- What parents should know about the new test for your breast milk
- The germiest places to avoid while traveling over the holidays
(WTNH) - Lighter wind overnight but very cold!!! Wednesday and Thursday are quiet and milder with very light wind. Rain arrives Thursday evening as a Big Storm out of the Gulf of Mexico will deliver heavy rain, local flooding, strong winds, thunder and near record high temperatures to Connecticut on Friday. Winter arrives at 5:23 pm Friday!!! Lingering shower Saturday, but improving. Right now Sunday through Christmas Day looks quiet!!! Hopefully a few flurries Christmas Eve?Read More »
- Gusty, cold Monday night, some flurries possible
- Sunday rain to turn to wintry mix overnight
- Quiet Friday, rain on the way for Saturday
- Snow showers possible Thursday
- More clouds later as cold Tuesday continues
- American Meteorological Society Report: Climate change causing extreme weather
- Bright and chilly Monday, rain possible later this week
There's a trifecta of drama unfolding at the very top of New Haven Public...Read More »
The federal government is using a pair of protective zones to try to assist...Read More »
Christmas is just one week away now, and millions will be traveling for it.Read More »
A new test developed by a working mom that touts its ability to analyze the...Read More »