NEW DELHI, India (KRON) – A man has died in India after a fight with his rooster as the two were on their way to a cockfight.
Saripalli Chanavenkateshwaram Rao, 50, was hit in the neck with a blade tied to the rooster’s claw on Jan. 15, CNN reports.
Officials said the man was a regular at local cockfights and was on his way to enter the rooster in a competition when it tried to get away and break free.
A police spokesperson told CNN the father of three was taken to the hospital where he later died from a stroke.
Rao lived in a village in southern India’s Andhra Pradesh state.
Cockfighting has been illegal in India since 1960 but continues to cause problems around the country.
- Governor Lamont expected to name Paul Mounds Jr. as Chief of Staff
- CT State Police: Serious injury in accident on I-84 in Union, westbound lanes closed
- Department of Public Health: Nine flu-related deaths in CT in the past week
- Connecticut Families Extra: Interactions with your baby can forecast future success
- Working to save native plants during Invasive Species Awareness Week