MERIDEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Late Saturday night, fire officials responded to a fire at 116 Cook Ave. in Meriden.

The fire was heavy, showing on two floors, Fire Chief Ken Morgan said. It was a three-alarm fire.

When responders arrived, they could see flames bursting from multiple windows at the residence. According to the Meriden Facebook page, the fire had spread into the cockloft, making extinguishment difficult.

The Meriden Fire Department was assisted with mutual aid.

Photo taken by Matt Van Ness, shared on Meriden Facebook

Luckily, this was an abandoned medical building, meaning no residents were in danger. It has been abandoned for awhile, according to Morgan, and has been a place where homeless individuals seek refuge. However, they have found no evidence that anyone was there for shelter at the times the flames began.

“The building was already in major disrepair prior to the fire,” said Morgan.

There was little to salvage. Based on the state of the building, Morgan believes it will be extremely difficult to find out what exactly caused this fire.