CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) - A Florida sheriff says that he will not arrest a man who killed a man during an argument over a parking space.
The Tampa Bay Times reports that Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri made the announcement Friday about 47-year-old Michael Drejka. Drejka shot and killed 28-year-old Markeis McGlockton a day earlier in a convenience store parking lot.
Authorities say that Drejka confronted McGlockton's girlfriend about parking in a handicapped space without a permit. Gualtieri said that McGlockton slammed Drejka to the ground, who then pulled out his gun and shot McGlockton in the chest.
Gualtieri said the incident falls under the state's 'stand your ground' law that allows someone to use deadly force if they believe it necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm. He said his office will forward the case to prosecutors for a final decision.
- North Carolina gov pleads with storm evacuees to be patient
- Kavanaugh's accuser wants FBI probe before she testifies
- Lawsuit filed against gas company after Massachusetts blasts
- Officials in Middletown seek federal funding to fix collapsing wall along Connecticut River
- Michael Jordan donates $2M for hurricane relief in NC
- Hamden Police Bust Alleged Stolen Car Thief
- Trump to visit Carolinas on Wednesday
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Cooper: Florence a 'monumental disaster' for NC
- Showers moving out of state during Tuesday evening commute
- SAD UPDATE: Body recovered of 1-year-old baby that was swept away in NC floodwaters
- Death toll rises to 11 as Florence pours on the rain
- Florence pours on the rain in the Carolinas; death toll at 5
- Bright start then cloudy finish to Monday before rain from Florence arrives
- Caught on Cam: Boy rescued from water during rip current warning
The National Weather Service says a microburst, not a tornado, caused damage...Read More »
Lawyers filed a class action lawsuit Tuesday on behalf of people who were...Read More »
Harbor Park is one of the jewels of Middletown, showcasing the beauty of the...Read More »
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
New Haven Police responded to a car fire at a gas station Tuesday night.Read More »
Officials at Sesame Workshop are denying the claim of a former writer that said the classic characters Bert and Ernie are more than close friends.Read More »
The National Weather Service says a microburst, not a tornado, caused damage in a town near Boston as the remnants of Hurricane Florence brought strong winds and heavy rains to New England.Read More »