LIVE NOW /
Watch Connecticut Style

Vaping sends Texas teen to hospital with lung failure

National

TEXAS (ABC) — A seemingly-healthy Texas teenager was hospitalized with lung failure after suddenly becoming unable to breath.

His doctors suspect that vaping was the cause.

17-year-old Tryston Zohfeld was taken to Cook Children’s Hospital in Forth Worth, Texas with blockage in his lungs.

Zohfeld recalls the day he was hospitalized: “I woke up just throwing up everywhere, and my heart was beating out of my check going 100 miles an hour.”

Pediatric Pulmonologist, Karen Shultz, said of Zohfeld, “He’s a very sick, otherwise healthy-looking child. And we don’t see previously healthy 17-year-olds that sick that quickly.”

In late July, Tryston’s family sat by his side day after day not knowing what was wrong as he lay in a medically-induced coma.

His parents learned that Tryston has been vaping without their knowledge since the 8th grade, sometimes as much as two or three vape pods a week.

This isn’t the first teen hospitalized after vaping use. The CDC identified 153 cases of severe lung illness associated with e-cigarette use across 16 states.

The CDC continues to investigate and has not identified a particular device or liquid as being associated with these cases.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss