Tuesday was busy morning for New Haven firefighters.
It began at 2:00 a.m. as crews were first called to the dorms at Southern Connecticut State University.
Damian Mercier said a fire started in his suitemate’s trash can.
“So I went outside and pulled the alarm and then I ran right downstairs to tell the person at the desk that there is a fire in my room and it will spread if nothing is done,” Mercier said.
They evacuated the dorm and put out the flames.
One room was damaged and two students were treated for smoke inhalation.
School officials later confirmed the fire was started by smoking material in a trash can.
Four hours later, over on Goffe Street, several calls came in about flames at an apartment building.
A firefighter who was busy at both fires burned his arm there.
Related Content: 2 suffer smoke inhalation in SCSU dorm fire
The chief said it might be because his gear was wet from the dorms.
“We had some sprinkler activation over there. Of course, water got on his gear because of the cold. So it could have been some steam hit in the fire itself,” Deputy Chief Robert Ortiz explained.
He went to the hospital to get checked out.
The family who lives there said the mother breathed in some smoke while she got her three kids and alerted the neighbors.
Firefighters said police helped get people out too.
Neighbors we spoke with just feel sorry for everyone involved.
Watch the video above for more.