Judge orders suspect shot by New Haven police held on $750k bond

News 8 Exclusive

Only News 8 was in court Tuesday afternoon as Marcus Rivera faced a judge to answer charges related to last week’s New Haven police officer-involved shooting.  A judge ordered Rivera held on $750,000 bail.

Rivera’s lawyer, Frank Cirillo, spoke to News 8’s Mario Boone moments after the hearing about his current charges.  “As of right now, he’s being charged with carrying pistol without permit and the state has indicated they are going to bring further charges,” Cirillo said of his client’s legal troubles.

The 22-year-old suspect limped into the courtroom shackled and still wearing blue hospital scrubs.  His face grimaced with pain as court marshals helped him sit down at the defense table.  “I’m certainly concerned about his health,” said Cirillo.  I’m led to believe that he’s had two surgeries already. He was shot in the back.”

Related Content: New Haven man in good condition following officer-involved shooting

State police have taken over the investigation and have yet to confirm that claim. However, New Haven police Chief Anthony Campbell previously told us Det. Frank Sanchez shot Rivera in the pelvis during a gunfight after he resisted arrest on an outstanding warrant.

Rivera’s defense team disputes that. “We are focused on just getting as much information as we can and then mounting as vigorous defense as we can for Mr. Rivera,” Cirillo explained.

Rivera is due back in court January 22.  

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss