Malloy says he’ll sue if Trump attempts to punish ‘Sanctuary City’ New Haven

Politics

WOODBRIDGE, Conn. (WTNH) — Governor Malloy says he’s ready to take the Trump Administration to court if it attempts to withhold federal funds to “Sanctuary Cities” like New Haven.

Approximately 900 refugees from Syria, Afganistan, Iraq, Sudan, the Congo and Eritrea have emigrated to Connecticut so far this year. The largest refugee organization in New Haven says that more than 50 Connecticut communities and agencies have offered to help within the last 12 months.

“We would sue them because they’d be violating the law,” said the Governor making the counter-threat today at a refugee celebration event at the Jewish Community Center of Greater New Haven. “We would protect our rights as a state to do that which we, or to receive those benefits that we’re otherwise entitled to.”

Several of the estimated 350 to 400 Syrian refugees that emigrated to Connecticut so far this year were in attendance, most not willing to have their faces photographed for fear of retribution to family members still in Syria.

Nidal and Abir, along with their six children and one due in two weeks, came here three months ago after a one-and-a-half year vetting process. They say the Greater New Haven has welcomed them warmly.

“I keep seeing people that are smiling at us, they are nice to us. We didn’t meet any person in Connecticut that disturb us or felt uncomfortable by seeing us, they welcome us,” they said through a translator.

Chris George, the director of IRIS, the New Haven-based Integrated Refugee and Immigrant Services Agency, says many refugees are worried that they’ll be rounded up and deported, that hijabs will be outlawed, that their relatives in Syria will be stranded there.  But he says, once President-elect Trump sees how extensive the vetting process really is he will back off some of his campaign statements.

“One he sees that it is extreme, the most rigorous in the world, I think he will restart the program or not pause it at all,” said George.

George says he is going to invite the President-elect to come to New Haven and meet with some of the refugees and is certain it would have a big impact.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

New Haven

Heroes emerge from Waterbury condo fire that displaced 12 adults, families in 8 units

News /

New Haven PD bike patrols connect to community daily, effort to combat rise in crime

News /

Two suspects arrested in Meriden home invasion

News /

University of New Haven Cyber Security Program

News /

Meriden PD: HazMat incident on Pratt Street, two people transported to burn unit

News /

New Haven teachers, staff demand more discipline for principal accused of using racial slur

News /
More New Haven

Hartford

East Hartford farmers' market to reopen in July

News /

Most East Hartford town facilities and services reopening Monday

News /

Manchester Road Race to return in-person Thanksgiving morning

News /

Two men charged with murder in connection to Alden Street homicide

News /

Homicide investigation underway on Alden Street in Hartford

News /

'Don't judge a book by its cover': Hartford local Aswad Thomas pens story on surviving gun violence

News /
More Hartford

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss