SOUTHINGTON, Conn. (WTNH) — Crews are monitoring the area after firefighters, environmental officials and hazmat crews responded to an ammonia cleanup incident at an ice supplier in Southington Sunday evening.
Fire officials said they were called to the scene just before 8 p.m. Sunday on multiple reports of a strong ammonia smell on Industrial Drive.
Fire crews responded to Diamond Ice and detected the odor, as well as a plume venting from the roof. It was determined that an Anhydrous Ammonia tank was leaking inside the building.
Crews stayed on scene all night, not making entry inside until cleanup contractors arrived Monday morning.
Residents of Southington, Bristol, and Plainville were asked Sunday evening until midnight to shelter in place with the windows closed and AC units off. That shelter in place has since been lifted.
“We did see some liquid coming out of the south side of the building we didn’t know if it was water or whatever, so we started calling our resources,” said Southington Fire Chief James Paul.
There were no injuries reported.
Southington Deputy Fire Chief Scott DiBattista said, “This anhydrous ammonia that was leaking is lighter than air gas, so most of the time it will go up into the atmosphere and just dissipate.”
The incident is under investigation. Crews remained on site overnight to monitor the incident.