MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WFLA) – Tampa Bay Rays minor leaguer Blake Bivens’ wife and child were among three killed in Virginia Tuesday, according to ESPN’s Jeff Passan.
Passan reports police in Virginia have charged Bivens’ wife’s brother with first-degree homicide.
The Rays affiliate, the Montgomery Biscuits abruptly canceled Tuesday night’s game.
The team sent out a social media announcement that provided limited details other than that it had experienced “a tragic event within the Biscuits family.”
The team asked for privacy and said it will provide “an update when it’s appropriate.”
Their opponent, the Chatanooga Lookouts, sent out a tweet as well saying “Our thoughts are with the entire Tampa Bay Rays and Montgomery Biscuits organizations.”
The Rays have also released a statement saying “Our hearts are broken for Blake. We are grieving with him and will support him any way you can.”
- Some CT voters say they have been receiving ominous, threatening letters
- FBI warns ransomware assault threatens US healthcare system
- Madison mother who lost her son to opioid addiction creates organization to combat the epidemic
- 7-year-old Jeopardy! superfan gets sweet message from Alex Trebek after dressing up as ‘mini-Trebek’ for Halloween
- Twitter, Facebook, Google CEOs testify on social media protections amid censorship claims