Many parts of the state are waking up with temps in the 30’s Thursday morning, which means two things, it’s cold outside and you’ll probably be putting the heat on if you haven’t already.
Most people wait as long as possible before turning the heat back on. But with overnight temps dropping to near freezing in many areas, those thermostats are going on. Like it or not, we’re already heating our homes.
If you haven’t done so already, now is the time to schedule an annual check-up on your heating system to make sure everything is working properly and there are no issues that need to be fixed.
And you’ll want to do that sooner rather than later because once we get into the coming months, many heating and cooling companies will be busy.
If you use a fireplace to heat your home you should have it cleaned. Soot build up could cause a fire or a back up in the system, exposing you and your family to carbon monoxide.
“A lot of times what happens is if you have a clogged system on the exhaust side that’s when you’re exposed,” said Dave Surgas, Viking Fuel.
Carbon Monoxide is odorless, tasteless and colorless which makes it very hard to detect. It can be deadly.
Homes with furnaces, fireplaces or other fuel burning heat should have a carbon monoxide detector installed. It’s also recommended you have a CO detector on every floor of your home.