Connecticut State Police say that at around 9:44 a.m., troopers responded to I-91 southbound near exit 23 for a three vehicle crash where there was a rollover, ejection and fatality.
According to the troopers, three people, including a child, were ejected from the vehicle and the Life Star helicopter was notified.
#CTtraffic: I91 sb x23 Rocky Hill closed for a crash with ejection and life-threatening injury. Life Star notified.— CT State Police (@CT_STATE_POLICE) July 24, 2018
Later that afternoon, police stated that 60-year-old Benjamin Bidwell of Middletown suffered a fatal injury during the crash.
Officials said Bidwell moved his vehicle from the right lane to the center lane before moving to the left again, striking two vehicles.
All three occupants of Bidwell's vehicle were ejected. 2-year-old Noah Alexander was transported to a local hospital and is in critical condition. His father, 31-year-old Joshua Gootkin, was also brought to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
The operator of the first vehicle Bidwell struck did not suffer an injury, while the driver of the second vehicle suffered a possible injury.
The Department of Transportation reports that I-91 Southbound was closed between Exits 24 and 23 because of the overturned motor vehicle. The highway has since reopened to traffic.
#CTtraffic: I91 sb x23 Rocky Hill all lanes now OPEN.— CT State Police (@CT_STATE_POLICE) July 24, 2018
Cleared: Motor Vehicle Accident - ROCKY HILL #I91 South 0.50 miles beyond Exit 24 (RTE 99) at 7/24/2018 1:17:03 PM— Statewide CTDOT (@CTDOT_Statewide) July 24, 2018
The crash remains under investigation.
- North Carolina gov pleads with storm evacuees to be patient
- Kavanaugh's accuser wants FBI probe before she testifies
- Lawsuit filed against gas company after Massachusetts blasts
- Officials in Middletown seek federal funding to fix collapsing wall along Connecticut River
- Michael Jordan donates $2M for hurricane relief in NC
- Hamden Police Bust Alleged Stolen Car Thief
- Trump to visit Carolinas on Wednesday
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Cooper: Florence a 'monumental disaster' for NC
- Showers moving out of state during Tuesday evening commute
- SAD UPDATE: Body recovered of 1-year-old baby that was swept away in NC floodwaters
- Death toll rises to 11 as Florence pours on the rain
- Florence pours on the rain in the Carolinas; death toll at 5
- Bright start then cloudy finish to Monday before rain from Florence arrives
- Caught on Cam: Boy rescued from water during rip current warning
The National Weather Service says a microburst, not a tornado, caused damage...Read More »
Lawyers filed a class action lawsuit Tuesday on behalf of people who were...Read More »
Harbor Park is one of the jewels of Middletown, showcasing the beauty of the...Read More »
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
New Haven Police responded to a car fire at a gas station Tuesday night.Read More »
Officials at Sesame Workshop are denying the claim of a former writer that said the classic characters Bert and Ernie are more than close friends.Read More »
The National Weather Service says a microburst, not a tornado, caused damage in a town near Boston as the remnants of Hurricane Florence brought strong winds and heavy rains to New England.Read More »