A majority of businesses across Connecticut are closed for Thanksgiving, but there are some stores and restaurants that remain open on the holiday.
Many gas stations are open, but some will have shortened hours. Plan accordingly if you expect to drive long distances.
Thanksgiving Day is a big day for grocery stores, with lots of shoppers grabbing last minute food items. Most grocery store chains are open, such as Stop & Shop, ShopRite, Whole Foods, and Price Chopper, but independent grocery stores may be closed.
Costco, BJ’s, Aldi, and Trader Joe’s have all announced that they will be closed for Thanksgiving. Some C-Town supermarkets in Connecticut will be open, but the hours vary between each store, so call ahead to make sure they’re still open.
Malls and retail stores in Connecticut will have alternate hours for Thanksgiving. For example, the Trumbull Mall, Connecticut Post Mall, Danbury Fair Mall, and Buckland Hills Mall will all open at 6:00 p.m. Thanksgiving evening. If there is a specific store you’re hoping to visit, be sure to give them a call to confirm they are open before you make the trip. Most retailers have expanded hours for “Black Friday”, with many offering big deals for early shoppers.
If you’re looking to get something to eat on Thanksgiving Day, there are some national restaurant chains that have announced they are open today:
- Applebee’s will have a some locations serving special Thanksgiving meals that will feature all the essentials of turkey, green beans, and potatoes.
- Buffalo Wild Wings will have some locations open on Thanksgiving so you can get your chicken wing fix and watch some football.
- Burger King will typically stay open during the holidays, but may have limited hours.
- Cracker Barrel around the country will be open at regular hours. To-go services are also available. crackerbarrel.com/order-online/
- Denny’s will be open on Thanksgiving.
- Domino’s Pizza will have some locations open on Thanksgiving.
- Dunkin Donuts will be open on Thanksgiving. Some locations may have reduced hours on the holiday.
- IHOP will only be open for breakfast on Thanksgiving and will close at 2 p.m
- McDonald’s locations will stay open on the holiday.
- Sonic Drive-In will have most of there locations open on Thanksgiving.
- Starbucks will have most of their locations open on Thanksgiving but may have reduced hours.
- TGI Fridays will be open on Thanksgiving.
- Wendy’s locations will stay open on the holiday.
If you’re unsure if you’re favorite local restaurant is open on Thanksgiving, it is best to give them a call.
Thanksgiving night is big for movie theaters. Many theaters in Connecticut are open. Check the theater’s schedule to make sure they’re open before driving over.
Liquor Stores / Bars
Liquor stores are closed on Thanksgiving Day, but bars and taverns are open at their owner’s discretion if you’re looking to get a drink.
Banks are closed, but most banks have 24-hour automated teller machines available if you need cash.
Many pharmacies will be open today, including CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid, but the hours may vary. Call ahead before making the trip.