Clean eating health coach Nikki Gallias makes stuffed peppers for an 8 Minute Meal.
• 4 large bell peppers (any color)
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 cup of mirepoix (half a large container)
• 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic
• 1 cup chopped kale
• 1 pound of ground chicken, beef, lamb or turkey
• ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper
• ½ teaspoon of dried oregano or
• ½ teaspoon of your favorite seasoning (I love Adobo by Goya)
• ½ cup chicken broth
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
• With a knife cut the tops of the bell peppers off. Gently remove the stem and seeds in the middle. Bake for 5-8 min and then set aside to cool.
• Heat the olive oil in a pan or large skillet. Add the mirepoix, garlic and cook for one minute until golden in color or until transparent. Add the seasoning. Add the ground meat and cook, continuously breaking it up with a wooden spoon and then add the kale. Cook until mostly brown 7-9 minutes, gradually adding the chicken broth as you cook.
• Divide the filling amongst the slightly softened bell peppers. Return to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes until the peppers look wrinkly and a little brown.
• Note: You can use ground chicken or turkey with the chicken broth. For beef and lamb, you will not want to use chicken broth but use a tomato paste instead and maybe some chili powder, pepper flakes or paprika