Izaiah possesses a palpable sense of warmth and joy even though he's faced immense challenges ever since he was born at 23 weeks, weighing just over one pound.
"His entire hand wrapped around the tip of my pinkie," says Burgos.
Given just a ten percent chance of making it, Izaiah survived. But, at eighteen months old, the family received devastating news.
"He was diagnosed with quadriplegic spastic cerebral palsy," remembers Burgos. "At that time, I was 19. They were new words for me."
Despite his physical limitations, the 12-year-old thrives at school, getting As in math and inspiring his community.
A huge football fan, he recently touched the hearts of the Manchester Sentinels who helped him score an honorary touchdown during a game.
"It was really amazing," says Izaiah. "I was in tears once I scored."
"It was literally a dream come true for him," says his mom. "I think if Izaiah didn’t have wheels for legs, he’d be running on a field all year long."
But getting around is extremely difficult for Izaiah. That's why Burgos recently turned to GoFundMe for help raising money to buy a wheelchair accessible van.
"It would change a life," she says. "I know how much it would mean to him and, at the end of the day, I just want his life to be that much easier."
Izaiah dreams of someday becoming a coach and visiting exciting places.
"I think I’m right for the job because I’d be a good role model," he says.
His mom works everyday to help her optimistic, loving boy achieve his goals.
"As parents, we want our children to be happy and to really experience all those little things," she says.
Since filming this story, Izaiah has become sick and is currently in ICU at the hospital. The family is asking for the public to help - by sending prayers.
- New clues emerge 15 years after teen's disappearance: 'We just want to know he's safe,' family says
- Westport FD responded to a car on fire motor vehicle accident call
- Mexican pipeline explosion kills 73, leaves nightmare of ash
- Motor vehicle strikes a man in New Haven
- Students in 'MAGA' hats mock Native American after rally
- U.S. Senator Chris Murphy, Congressman Joe Courtney respond to Trump's proposal
- Winter storm coverage: Businesses staying busy as storm and frosty weather inch closer
Paul Pazmino is the owner of Moxie restaurant in East Haven. Weekends are big for him, and he's paying close attention to Sunday's forecast.Read More »
- Avalanche covers Utah highway with 30-feet of snow
- Lamont plans to activate Severe Cold Weather Protocol beginning at noon on Sunday
- Preparing for ice rescues with Southington FD
- Study: 2018 hottest on record for world's oceans
- Storm dumps snow on Midwest; at least 5 dead in crashes
- Preventing Frozen Pipes
- How to prevent pipe problems in the winter
Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
The Westport Fire Department responded to Route 15 North for a reported motor...Read More »
U.S. Senator Chris Murphy and Congressman Joe Courtney have issued their...Read More »
There's a bit of last minute rush going on right now as people prepare for...Read More »
The 19th ranked Yale hockey team hosting St. Lawrence Saturday night at Ingalls Rink.Read More »