Chef John Brennan of Olives and Oil makes a crispy exotic mushroom dish.
½ lb your choice of mushrooms
4 cups AP flour
2 cup corn starch
2 cups seltzer water
2 quarts peanut oil
2 cups mayonnaise
1 tbsp black truffle shavings
1 tsp black truffle oil
1 tsp truffle honey
Salt & pepper to taste
1. In a large pot add peanut oil and heat on medium to high heat until you reach 350F. Use a candy thermometer to determine when you have reached your temperature.
2. Mix 2 cups of AP flour with 1 cup of corn starch, 1 tbsp of salt, 1 tbsp of pepper and set aside.
3. In a large bowl add 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of corn starch and whisk in seltzer water.
4. In a small bowl mix mayonnaise, truffle shavings, truffle oil and 1 tsp of truffle honey, whisk together and set aside.
5. Dip your mushrooms into the tempura batter and then dredge them I n your flour and cornstarch mix, then place gently into the hot oil to fry.
6. Let cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown, carefully remove from the oil, season with a pinch of salt & pepper and set aside.
7. On your plate put several dollops of the truffle aioli and place your mushrooms on the plate.
8. Drizzle 1 tsp on truffle honey over the mushrooms and enjoy.
Chef John Brennan will be taking part of The Big Taste, which is part of The Big Connect on Thursday, November 15th at Oakdale Theater in Wallingford. For more information, click here.