Professional Chef Julie Hartigan makes a family fun 8 Minute Meal for Taco Tuesday.
Prep time 10 min
Cook time 10 min
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
3/4 tsp chipotle chili pepper
3/4 tsp cumin
2 red peppers
12 scallions medium
1 TB olive oil extra virgin
1 lb flank steak
12 corn tortillas small
1/3 cup red onion minced
1/2 cup cojita cheese (or feta) crumbled
1/2 cup cilantro leaves torn
2 limes cut into wedges
hot sauce for serving
1. Combine salt, garlic, chili pepper, and cumin in a small bowl. Core and seed peppers and slice crosswise into 12 rings. Trim scallions and halve widthwise. If white ends are thick slice in half lengthwise. Cut avocado in half and remove the pit. Use a large tablespoon to gently scoop out each half. Brush avocados with 1 tsp olive oil and sprinkle with ½ tsp spice mixture.
2. Place pepper rings and scallions in a large bowl. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and toss with 1 tsp spice mixture. Rub remaining spice mixture into both sides of flank steak. Wrap stack of tortillas in foil.
3. Heat grill or grill pan to high heat and cook veggies and steak (working in batches as needed). Grill veggies for 2-3 mins per side or until charred. Grill steak for 4-5 mins per side or until medium rare.
Warm wrapped tortillas for a few minutes on the grill or in a 350 degree oven to soften.
4. Let steak rest a few moments before thinly slicing crosswise. Cut each avocado half into 6 even pieces.
5. To assemble tacos, mash one avocado piece down the center. Layer with steak, 2 pieces grilled scallion, and 1 pepper ring. Garnish with onion, cotija cheese, and cilantro. Serve with hot sauce and a lime wedge.
Visit CookingWJulie.com to get a free cookbook filled with 10 healthy meals in under 20 minutes.