Maria Bruscino-Sanchez of Sweet Maria’s in Waterbury brings color to your life with her rainbow cupcake recipe.
2 ½ cups cake flour
1 ½ cups sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ pound, plus 3 tablespoons butter, softened
5 egg whites
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 ℉
2. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
3. In an electric mixer, on low speed, blend flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until mixed. Add butter and mix until uniformly blended.
4. In a separate bowl, mix egg whites, milk and vanilla with a wire whisk. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes.
5. Scrape down the sides and bottom of mixing bowl. Continue to beat at medium high speed for another 3-4 minutes, until batter is blended and smooth.
6. Separate batter into six even portions. Using red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple for colors, tint each portion.
7. Using a teaspoon, spoon a teaspoon of each color into cupcake liner. Start with purple, then blue, green, yellow, orange, and red. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a tester comes out with a fine crumb.
8. Remove from the oven and cool cupcakes on wire cooling racks. Cool completely before icing.
Makes 20 cupcakes.