Before you purchase travel insurance, do a little research. Each travel insurance plan will be different but most cover a few basic things — medical emergencies, emergency evacuation, and lost luggage.
The amount of compensation for each area will differ so compare plans. Chartered Financial Consultant John Caserta says you should consider these questions when you are thinking about purchasing travel insurance:
- Can you absorb the financial loss of a canceled trip?
- Do you have the financial resources to cover a medical emergency?
- Does your health insurance plan offer coverage while traveling?
- Are you traveling with valuable items?
- What are the pre-paid costs of your trip?
- Does the credit card you used to purchase the trip offer any coverage?
- Does your homeowner plan offer any coverage?