NEW HAVEN Conn. (WTNH) — Before we head to the orchard to pick our own, it may be time to think of what we can do with all those apples we get.
Deb Barbiero stopped by our station to share a delicious Apple Pie recipe we can make our kids. Plus Deb talks about all the health benefits in the recipes.
Here’s how you make it:
- Filling Ingredients:
- 3 to 4 apples peeled and sliced
- ½ of homemade dough recipe
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- ½ lemon (juice)
- Topping Ingredients:
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Lightly flour your counter or wherever you plan to roll out your dough. Lightly flour your rolling pin. Roll out the dough thin. Roll it out so that it covers the pie plate. Pinch the extra dough to form a pie crust.
- In a bowl mix the apple slices with the cinnamon and sugar. Add the lemon zest and juice of ½ a lemon.
- Spread apple mixture evenly over the dough.
- In a separate bowl crumble the butter, flour and brown sugar together to make a crumb topping.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the apple mixture. If you have any leftover dough you can also add that to the crumb topping.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the dough is browned.
You can substitute any other fruit such as blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, rhubarb, peaches or pears. You can also add ¼ cup chopped almonds or walnuts or dried cranberries to the apple mixture.