NEW HAVEN Conn. (WTNH) — How to make a soup that can help people undergoing cancer treatment. Showing us how to make delicious and easy soup for part of breast cancer awareness month is blogger Jeanette Chen.
Jeanette says the Lentil Vegetable Farra soup is full of nutritious whole ingredients. She makes it with organic vegetable or chicken broth which serves as the base for this lentil soup. If you don’t want to make your own broth, you can use organic broths from the supermarket. Then she adds onions, leeks, carrots, celery, tomatoes, and leafy green vegetables which are full of vitamins and minerals, and lentils and farro that are high in protein and fiber. She also adds dried herbs for extra flavor. This is a very versatile soup so you can mix and match different vegetables, and swap in different leafy green vegetables such as spinach, Swiss chard, or kale.
Ingredients for the Lentil Vegetable Farro Soup:
- 1 tablespoon extra olive oil
- 1 leek, white and tender green parts only, washed thoroughly, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 cup French green lentils, picked over and rinsed
- ½ cup quick-cooking farro
- 1½ teaspoons Herbes de Provence (a mix of rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, lavender, tarragon, savory, fennel)
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes * 9-10 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1 bunch baby spinach or rainbow swiss chard, washed and thinly sliced
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Directions for the soup:
- Saute leeks, onion, carrots and celery in olive oil until slightly soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add lentils, farro, Herbes de Provence, tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, covered, about 1 hour, until lentils are tender. Add more broth or water as needed. Stir in spinach or swiss chard and cook until just tender. Season with salt and pepper.
For more recipes and blogs by Jeanette you can head to her website.