Maria of Sweet Maria’s makes a traditional rice pie for Easter Sunday.
4 cups water
½ cup rice
¾ cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups ricotta
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1. Cook the rice. In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil over medium heat. Add rice. Reduce heat to low and cook until al dente, about 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Remove from heat. Drain rice and cool.
3. Preheat oven to 350 ℉
4. In an electric mixer on medium speed, beat eggs and sugar until light in color. Add vanilla and ricotta and beat until smooth.
5. Stir in rice and milk. Pour into an ungreased 9-inch cake pan or pie dish. Sprinkle top with cinnamon. Carefully place in oven. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until center is just about set.
6. Remove pie from the oven. Cool on wire cooling rack. Refrigerate until serving. Serve chilled.
Yield: One 9-inch pie, about 12 servings.